Thursday, April 3, 2008

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Possible spoiler alert!)

Starring!!!
The Bennet family
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jane Bennet (aka) the girl who faults no one,ever
Elizabeth Bennet (aka) the spunky heroine,"Prejudice"
Mary Bennet (aka) the one who cares about nothing but literature and music
Kitty Bennet (aka) the follower to..
Lydia Bennet (aka) the baby and the outrageous flirt to the point of indiscretion
Mr.Bennet (aka) the father who could care less about society
Mrs.Bennet (aka) the obnoxious mother who cares about nothing but society and money
Mr.Collins (aka) the big dork,the kiss up,the cousin who is to inherit all of Mr. Bennet's estate
Mrs.Phillips (aka) the gossipy aunt
Mr. and Mrs Gardiner (aka) the cool uncle and aunt

By default:Charlotte Lucas (aka) the best friend to "Lizzie",Charlotte knows herself to be "plain" and unworthy of romance.

The Target and friends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr.Bingley (aka) Mr. possibly Aloof and very rich
Mr. Darcy (aka) "Pride",filthy rich and the hero
Miss Bingley (aka) the witch
Mrs.Hurst (aka) the "witch's" confidant and co-conspirator
Mrs. De Bourgh (aka) the insufferable bossy "lady"
Miss De Bourgh (aka) the frail,sickly, mousy daughter of the "lady"
Miss Georgiana Darcy (aka) the innocent sister to Mr.Darcy

By default:Mr.Wickham (aka) the liar,thief and gambler


What can I say about this book that has not already been said?Wow!!
It does have some difficult to decipher language,but once you get the hang of it,it really is an enjoyable read.A great love story.A story of a girl who was very unconventional for her time and was loved for it none the less.Or to put it another way.....two thumbs up!
~~~~~

I also ran out and rented the 2005 movie version,(which was scarce around here,originally I intended to buy it,but it was not to be had!).I believe them to have been spot on with Elizabeth,appearance and all.I pictured originally Colin Firth in my head while reading the book but I prefer Matthew Macfayden.I also learned through some research that Colin Firth,indeed,did appear in the 1995 version,which I have never seen(I probably pictured him residually from his character from Bridget Jones' Diary,Mark Darcy,which ironically enough I think comparisons could be drawn between that movie and this book,which I am sure has been said before.)

The movie followed as closely as I believe possible, save making it 6 hours long,although I am sure I would have enjoyed that length as well.My fellow viewer,Mandy enjoyed it immensely without having read the book previously.So we both reccomend the movie as well!

2 comments:

Gracie Parker said...

very cool idea!

i want to start reading again - i miss it.

Debbi said...

OK, I really should visit this site more often! Really, sorry! So are you still re-reading P&P? I picked up Mansfield park again yesterday. I want to watch the bbc version of P&P this weekend!