Thursday, February 7, 2008

Rhett Butlers People by Donald McCaig

I have mixed emotions about this book.After reading it,I have to sum it up this way...Its a prequel,a parallel and a sequel.And it has nothing at all to do with Alexandra Ripleys Scarlett,it doesnt parallel that book at all-if truth be told,it has a different take on how the saga should end,one I prefer.On the other hand,He knows nothing about Scarlett O Hara.He made her a ninny,for lack of a better word.I think this spoke of the fact that he could not understand her.His use of civil war descriptions was rigid,and more often than not,did not flow well with the rest of the story.He also made Rhett gallant,to such an extent that Rhett could do no wrong-because there is a good explanation for every action he takes,whether that action is positive or negative,in essence supposing Rhett was absolutely flawless.All in all,what I loved about Gone with the Wind is that the characters were flawed,but lovable-realistic.In Rhett Butlers people not so much.But it is a good read and you will find yourself not wanting to put it down.

No comments: